In this article, we will discuss the various SSL certificates available in the market based solely on the validations. We will look at Domain Validation, Organization Validation, and Extended Validation SSL.
We will discuss their uses, features, and prices. By the end of this article, you will have clarity as to which sort of SSL does your business requires. So, let’s begin to look at the three SSL certificates in detail.
Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificate
DV certificate is also known as the Standard SSL certificate. This certificate secures the primary domain of a company’s website.
The CA (Certificate Authority) will verify if the company that is requesting the certificate is the original owner of a domain name. They also verify if the name of the domain is actually registered with the WHOIS. Once they verify through domain authority, the CA then issues an SSL certificate.
Key Features of DV SSL Certificates
- DV certificate offers 256 bits of SSL encrypted security as well as 2048 bits of CSR encryption.
- DV SSL certificates are issued quickly upon the completion of email verification.
- You can now avail of this at economical rates. For instance, you can now get through Comodo Positive SSL for an annual charge of $8.
- Domain Validation SSL certificate is suitable for blogs, forums, startups, small businesses, and individuals.
- For getting a DV SSL, there is no requirement of any business documents for verification.
- DV SSL certificates are compatible with almost 99% of mobiles and browsers.
- These certificates also have warranties. But that depends on the type of brand selected, unlimited server license, and various offers on money refund.
- They also offer a site seal. However, if you go for the SSL option that is free, you will not receive trust logos and site seals with it.
- These SSL certificates are also SHA- 2 enabled. It also helps to boost your website’s Google SEO ranking.
We have noticed a disadvantage with the DV SSL. That is, it validates just the domain name. So you cannot consider it worthy when top-level authentication is required in terms of financial sites and banking.
Domain Validation is also issued to multi-domain and wildcard SSL. This is because these certificates come under the category of DV SSL certificate.
Let’s take a look at a few examples of Domain Validation SSL certificates : Thawte SSL 123, RapidSSL, Comodo Positive SSL, and more.
Organization Validation (OV) SSL Certificate
Organization Validation takes up plenty of time in comparison to the DV SSL. This is because the Organization Validation needs a business and domain authentication from a business that is registered. It also requires verification from the business resources of a third party.
Key Features of OV SSL Certificates
- Organization Validation SSL offers 256 bit SSL encrypted security as well as 2048 bit that is CSR encrypted.
- These SSL certificates require complete Organization Validation; hence the time taken for the issuance is between 1-4 business days.
- Organization Validation certificate conducts a verification of the organization in depth. Therefore, they cost more than Domain Validation SSL.
- The security for both the domains as well as the subdomains is dependent on all the SSL certificates selected. For instance, the Comodo Instant SSL Pro is available for an annual fee of $48.
- Organization Validation SSL certificates are excellent for businesses of medium size that require business authentication.
- Websites that need strong encryption, as well as the online verified identity, can go in for this certificate.
- To get an OV SSL, you will need to provide all your business documents for the successful completion of the verification process.
- The certificate is also compatible with almost 99% of mobiles and browsers.
- All OV SSL certificates offer high warranties. However, it depends on the type of brand you have selected, limitless server licensing, and also on money-back guarantees.
- These certificates additionally include a site seal that is dynamically displaying the organization’s details. Also, the timestamp is provided by a trusted Certificate Authority.
- The OV SSL certificate is considered to be the highest option in terms of validation for wildcard SSL. This is because the EV option is unavailable for wildcard SSL.
- Organization Validation SSL is SHA- 2 enabled. It also helps to boost your website’s Google SEO ranking.
In order to get the Organization Validation SSL certificate security folio website successfully, the company also needs to clarify the process that is mentioned below:
- They need to authenticate your domain name.
- Ascertain from AOI your business and organization information.
- They will also verify the address that you have provided.
- The telephone numbers that you have mentioned will also be verified.
Let’s take a look at a few examples of Organization Validation SSL certificates; DigiCert Secure SSL, GeoTrust, Comodo Instant, and more.
Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate
EV SSL certificate offers security at the highest level to its users. Therefore, it’s also known to be a Premium-level SSL certificate. Large corporates and enterprises prefer to get Extended Validation SSL on account of the top-level security and huge trust level.
Key Features of EV SSL Certificates
- An EV SSL certificate offers a similar SSL encrypted security of 256 bit and CSR encryption of 2048 bit. It is similar to OV SSL and Domain Validation SSL.
- EV SSL certificates takes 5 to 15 business days to issue due to the lengthy verification process.
- As discussed earlier, an EV SSL certificate is considered to be a premium certificate. It offers premium features, physical existence, in-depth verification, and domains as well as subdomains security. This is the reason for these certificates to be available at higher rates in comparison to the previous two. The price is also dependent on the SSL certificate that you select. For instance, the Comodo Positive SSL certificate is available at an annual price of $61.60.
- This sort of SSL certificate is very helpful for giant corporates, payment processors, banks, and e-commerce. Basically, organizations that deal with large amounts of monetary transactions, etc. as they offer maximum security.
- In order to receive an EV SSL certificate, various business documents will be required.
- EV SSL certificates are very compatible with many operating systems as well as browsers.
Some of the examples of EV SSL certificates are GlobalSign, Thawte, Comodo Positive, etc.
Summary of Comparison
By now, I’m sure many of you are wondering which one you should go in for or rather which one is better.
To answer this, I must say it would completely depend on the requirements of your business and your website. You can also check our article on The 3 Best Backup Plugins for WordPress.
If you own a new business, then Domain Validation SSL is a good option. It will very quickly secure the site HTTPS. However, if you are an owner of an e-commerce shop, then I must say you will have to create an environment that is trustworthy.
Therefore, Extended Validation or Organization Validation SSL certificate is the best option.
All the validations mentioned offer similar types of encrypted securities. However, Extended Validation or Organization Validation SSL are favored by many e-commerce, financial institutions, health care, and banking industries.